Guidelines for Funding
The ARC Australian Research Network for Advanced Materials aims to provide funding support for students and early career researchers to work for a minimum of two (2) weeks to a maximum of six (6) months in other laboratories (both nationally and internationally) on collaborative research. Where the numbers of applications exceeds funding available, preference will be given to national collaborative visits.
The travel grant may cover the following costs:
- a contribution towards airfares/travel
- a contribution towards the cost of accommodation
- a contribution towards meals (living allowance)
Whilst it is possible to include attendance at an international conference as part of the collaborative visit, ARNAM will not fund conference costs. Applications where the prime reason for a visit is conference attendance will not be supported.
No ARNAM funding can be used to support research costs.
In order for a travel grant to be approved, the applicant must fill out the Collaborative Research Support Application Form and the application must satisfy the selection criteria.
Applications will be ranked by the ARNAM ECR/Student Committee based on research merit and the ability to satisfy the selection criteria. Recommendations made by the ARNAM ECR/Student Committee and endorsed by the ARNAM Executive Committee will be final.
Applications will be assessed several times each year.
Application Closing Dates for 2009 are as follows:
- Friday, 6 March 2009
- Friday, 22 May 2009
- Friday, 7 August 2009
All Network participants, appearing on the database, of the ARC Australian Research Network for Advanced Materials currently studying/working in Australia, noting that there are two categories of applicant: research students and early career researchers.
Funding requests must be to support collaborative research at any Australian or International university/government facility in the field of Advanced Materials.
Application and Assessment Procedure
- Please fill in the application form and include a one to two page summary addressing the selection criteria, a one page CV, and a letter of support from your supervisor and a second letter of support from the collaborative institution.
- The support letters are to include dates and purpose of visit.
- A monetary contribution from your home institution is to be included in your costs.
- Applications are to be submitted in one document, preferably a PDF document.
- The ECR/Student Committee will assess applications against criteria and make recommendations for funding to the ARNAM Executive Committee.
- The Committee will endeavour to inform successful applicants within one month of application closing date.
ARNAM will provide total funding of around $25,000 to this program in 2009 with a notional upper limit of $4,000 for any one visit.
Normally only one (1) collaborative research grant will be awarded per person in any three (3) year period.