Dr Trevor Finlayson
Address: School of Physics
Phone: 03 9905 3683
Fax: 03 9905 3637
Role in the networkExperienced Researcher (ER)
Materials Research FocusInnovative structural and functional materials for diverse applications
Current Research ActivitiesPrecursor and time dependent effects in association with displacive phase transitions, particularly in martensitic alloys; relaxation and microstructural studies in triglycine sulphate ferroelectrics; studies of residual stresses in engineering materials particularly using non-destructive diffraction (neutron and x-ray) techniques; microstructural and magnetic studies of Sm-Co-based magnetic alloys; structural studies in YTZ and CaSrTiO3 ceramics.
Selected PublicationsExternal Publication List
1. Currie, P.D., Finlayson, T.R. and Smith, T.F., `The phase diagram for In-rich In-Bi alloys,\' J. Less-Common Met., 62, 13-24 (1978).
2. Finlayson, T.R., Mostoller, M., Reichardt, W. and Smith, H.G., `Inelastic neutron scattering from a martensitically transforming indium-thallium alloy,\' Solid State Commun., 53, 461-464 (1985).
3. Finlayson, T.R., `Nb3Sn - A special purpose electrical conductor,\' Metals Forum, 8, 3-13 (1985).
4. Finlayson, T.R., Reichardt, W. and Smith, H.G., `Lattice dynamics of layered-structure compounds: PdTe2,\' Phys. Rev. B, 33, 2473-2480 (1986).
5. Liu, M., Finlayson, T.R. and Smith, T.F., `Thermal expansion of martensitic In-Tl: stress-induced microstructure and pre-martensite state,\' Phys. Rev. B, 46, 3009-3015 (1993).
6. Finlayson, T.R., Gross, A.K., Griffiths, J.R. and Kisi, E.H., `Creep of Mg-PSZ at room temperature,\' J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., 77, 617-624 (1994).
7. Liu, M., Finlayson, T.R. and Smith, T.F., `Thermal expansion of V3Si with controlled martensite-phase morphology,\' Phys. Rev. B, 52, 530-535 (1995).
8. Xiong, X.Y., Finlayson, T.R. and Muddle, B.C., `Nanocrystalline microstructures in Fe93-xZr7Bx Alloys,\' J. Mater. Sci., 38, 1161-1169 (2003).
9. Finlayson, T.R. and Muddle, B.C., `An approach to the teaching of functional materials for materials science and engineering undergraduate courses,\' J. Materials Education, 26, 307-312 (2004).
10. Finlayson, T.R. and Klemradt, U., `Martensitic Transformations at Surfaces and Interfaces\' in Solid-Solid Phase Transformations in Inorganic Materials 2005, eds., J.M. Howe, D.E. Laughlin, J.K. Lee, U. Dahmen and W.A. Soffa (TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society), 2005) Vol 2, pp35-46.
Membership/Fellowship of Key OrganisationsAustralian Institute of Physics
Materials Australia (formerly Institute of Materials Engineering Australasia)
Materials Research Society
Australian Association of Alexander von Humboldt Felloows
Awards and DistinctionsMeritorious Service Award, Institute of Metals and Materials Australasia
Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship
Professional Recognition and OutreachOrganising Committee:
AINSE-ANBUG Neutron Scattering Symposium, December, 2006
Symposium PP \"Forum on Materials Science Education\" at MRS Fall 05
Symposium BB \"Educating Tomorrow\'s Materials Scientists and Engineers\" at MRS Spring 04
A&NZIP Condensed Matter & Materials Meeting, 2003 (\"Wagga 03\")
International LinkagesMember, International Council for Materials Education
Member, Materials Research Society
Member, ASM International