Dr. Prashant Dnyandeo Sawant
Senior Research Scientist/Project Manager|
Address: Bldg 3, Applied Sciences, RMIT University (City Campus), 124 Latrobe street, Melbourne, Victoria-3000, Australia
RMIT, Science, Engineering and Technology
Role in the networkExperienced Researcher (ER)
Materials Research FocusInnovative structural and functional materials for diverse applications
Current Research ActivitiesDevelopment of nanoparticles contrast materials (e.g. iron oxide, gold & gadolinium) for medical diagnostic applications
Use of nanoparticles (e.g. gold, silver & gadolinium) for therapeutic applications
Use of nanotools (e.g. AFM 3D SAXS-radiography, QCM & confocal laser scanning microscopy) for medical imaging
Development of biomacromolecular hydrogels for small field dosimetry
Development of nanoparticles and microparticles based drug/vaccine delivery systems.
Use of direct write micro-lithography & nanolithography and their applications in (Bio)MEMS
Development of micro-arrays & nano-arrays of biomolecules and their biomedical applications
Polymer nanocomposit and their biomedical applications
Selected PublicationsExternal Publication List
1. R.H. Vora, P. Sawant, S.H. Goh, M. Vora. Fluoro-Polyimide/Organo-modified MMT clay nanocomposite based on 6FDA and Di-ether containing diamines: synthesis, fabrication, characterization, properties and thermal degradation kinetics study of their films in “Polyimides and other high temperature polymers” Vol. 3 Ed. K. L. Mittal VSP International Science Publications, The Netherlands. January 2005. (Nanocomposites)
2.D.V. Nicolau and P.D. Sawant SPM of DNA molecules on surfaces. Top. Current Chem. 2005, 260 (4), 113 - 160 (Bionano)
3. P. D. Sawant*, H. N. Achuth, S. M. Moochhala Bottom-up Approach to Incorporate Cells in Thermo-responsive Hydrogels. Biotech. J. 1(4), 462-465.
4. 6. P.D. Sawant*, L.M. Ramaniah, C. Manohar Capacity of nano-reactors of AOT micro-emulsions to form and sustain ultra small semiconductor quantum dots. J. Nanosci. Nanotech. 6, 241-247.
5. P.D. Sawant*, D.V. Nicolau Line and two-dimensional fractal analysis of surface-immobilized oligonucleotide nano-aggregates. Appl. Phys. Let.. 87, 223117.
6. L. Kang, P.D. Sawant, X.Y. Liu, P.C.L. Ho, Y.W. Chan, S.Y. Chan, SMGA Gels for the skin permeation of haloperidol J. Controlled Release, 106, 88-98.
7. P.D. Sawant, E. Kovalev, J.T. Klug, S. Efrima Alkyl xanthates: New capping agents for metal colloids. Capping of platinum nanoparticles. Langmuir 17 (10), 2913.
8. X.Y. Liu, P.D. Sawant, Micro/nanoengineering of the self-organized three-dimensional fibrous structure of functional materials. Angew. Chemie. Inter. 41, 3641.
9. X.Y. Liu, P.D. Sawant, W.B. Tan, C. Pramesti, B.H. Chen Creating new supramolecular materials by architecture of three-dimensional nanocrystal fiber networks. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124, 15055-15063.
10. P.D. Sawant* and S.P. Sawant Tc99m doped Nano-Hematite for Lung Photoscintigraphy. J. Biomed. Nanotech. 1(4), 406-409.
Membership/Fellowship of Key Organisations2007- Present Member, United Kingdom & Ireland control release society, UK
2007- Present Member, Australian control release society, Australia
2005 - Present Member, The Australian Research Council Nanotechnology Network (ARCNN), Australia
2001 - 2007 Member, Materials Research Society, Singapore
2003: Organizing committee member, Symp. A: Advances in Biomaterials, IUMRS-ICMAT 2003, Singapore.
2001: Organizing committee member, Symp. D: Crystallization and Interfacial processes, ICMAT 2001, Singapore.
2000: Member, Israel Science Society, Israel.
1995 – present Life Member, Indian Society for Surface Sciences and Technology (ISSST), India
Awards and Distinctions2007 Marquis “Who’s Who in Science and Engineering” (10th edition)
2006 Marquis “Who’s Who in Science and Engineering” (9th edition)
1999 Certificate of excellence awarded by ICI-UK for the project Evaluation of novel sugar based emulsifiers\"
1994 - 96 Senior Research Fellowship from Dept. of Atomic Energy, India
1992 - 94 Junior Research Fellowship from Dept. of Atomic Energy, India
1991 Merit Scholarship, University of Bombay, India
Following publications were selected by virtual journals along with a figure on the journal front page.
P.D. Sawant*, D.V. Nicolau Nano-Topographic Evaluation of Highly Disorder Fractal-like Structures of Immobilized Oligonucleotides using AFM. Mater. Sci. Eng. Part B 2006, 132, 147-150. (Bionano)
A figure from this paper was depicted on the journal cover page.
P.D. Sawant*, D.V. Nicolau Line and two-dimensional fractal analysis of surface-immobilized oligonucleotide nano-aggregates. Appl. Phys. Let. 2005, 87, 223117 (Bionano)
This work was recognized by the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology - December 5, 2005 Volume 12, Issue 23.
Also recognized by the Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research -December 1, 2005.
O. Tzhayik, P.D. Sawant, S. Efrima, E. Kovalev, J.T. Klug Xanthate capping of silver, copper, and gold colloids. Langmuir 18, 3364-3369. (Nanoparticles)
This work was recognized by Gold bulletin 2002, 35/3 on page 105.
X.Y. Liu, P.D. Sawant* Mechanism of the formation of self-organized microstructures in soft functional materials. Adv. Mater. 14(6), 421-26. (Nanofiber/Organogel)
This work was recognized by the NanoJournal.com Issue No. 37 (March 17, 2002)
X.Y. Liu, P.D. Sawant Formation kinetics of fractal nanofiber networks in organogels. Appl. Phys. Lett. 79, 3518. (Nanofiber/Organogel)
This work was recognized by the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology Issue No. 21, Nov 18, 2001.
Professional Recognition and OutreachReferee, Chemical Engineering Communication Journal
Chair, Symp. W: Advanced Materials and Polymers for Defence and Aerospace Applications, ICMAT-IUMRS 2005, Singapore
Chair, Symp. D: Crystallization and Interfacial processes, Inter. Conf. on Mater. Adv. Tech. (ICMAT 2001), Singapore